Monday 9 December 2019

Strasbourg

We were booked on the early morning tasting tour.  We started off in a restaurant in a very old building to have our breakfast of "stinky pizza" and gluwein.  It wasn't really pizza, but a local specialty called flammerkeuche: which consisted of a very thin crust base with the local smelly cheese, onions, garlic and bacon on it.  Gluwein is the local mulled wine and is served hot.
We then walked on down the various shopping streets and sampled gingerbread and cookies.
Breakfast in a local restaurant
Strasbourg houses the European Parliament.  It's an interesting city with a lot of old buildings and a Gothic cathedral which has the 2nd highest spire in Europe.  It's changed hands between France and Germany 7 times over the last century.  I was left not knowing whether to attempt to speak my very bad French or my almost non-existent German.












Strasbourg is also known as the Christmas Capital of Europe and has a huge number of Christmas markets.  Becky and I only managed to make it around 3 of the markets but bought plenty of things.
In the evening we had a singer and accordion player to entertain us with a repertoire of French songs.

1 comment:

  1. I nearly went to Strasbourg once. I was booked on a tour of the European Parliament, but I couldn't go because one of my sisters was getting married.

    ReplyDelete