Friday 26 April 2024

Arrived in London

 So Air Canada sent me a couple of emails 24 hours prior to my flight.  The first was encouraging me to check in online.  The second was encouraging me to sign up to check in my carry on bag - because "Your flight is full" and there wasn't going to be enough space in the overhead bins.   While I was waiting at the gate there were repeated warnings that everyone needed to check their carry on bags because there wasn't enough space.    So I boarded and found my seat on the aisle.  I didn't do up my seat belt though, because there were 2 other seats between me and the window and since this was a "full flght"  the occupants should be along soon.   So imagine my surprise as the captain came on and said we were pushing back.  Not only were the 2 seats next to me unoccupied but the view of the rows across the aisle was like this:


So  our "full flight" had about 1 seat in each row with an actual passenger in it and the flight attendant came by closing up the literally empty overhead bins.   I did notice that as we landed they didn't even bother telling us to be careful because the contents of the overhead bins may have shifted during the flight.....

Despite having had a row of 3 seats to myself I didn't manage to get any sleep, so after landing and making my way to the Paddington Hilton and meeting up with Becky I took  a couple of hours nap.

Shortly before lunch we walked over to Hertford House and viewed the Wallace Collection.  To non-UK residents this will be a less familiar museum  - but it's definitely worth a look.  The collection of historical weapons and armour on the ground floor is impressive and there  are many nice paintings on the upper floor.  I particularly liked the Canalettos.   The most famous painting in the collection is the Laughing Cavalier, and he was definitely laughing at us as we spent ages looking for him - only to eventually ask and be told that he was on loan to a gallery in Amsterdam.   I wasn't sure if you could take photos at the museum, so I don't have any to post here.

On the walk back we dropped into Selfridges for a bit and had a look around the food hall where they had some very interesting "Shag cupcakes"   and you could buy various flavours of cookie dough by the scoop as though it was ice-cream.



After that it was back to the hotel for a very early night as we are both still jet-lagged.


3 comments:

  1. I took you to the Wallace Collection when you were in your teens - do you remember?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do remember. I wasn't sure if it was the Wallace collection that you took me to. So I wanted to go there to see if it was the same place I remembered.

      Delete
  2. For some reason your photos are low resolution, like enlarged thumbnails. This never happened before, you must have done something different.

    ReplyDelete